This is the perfect cocktail for chilly evenings this Hot Toddy is spicy-sweet and tastes a lot like the candy classic RedHots. What makes this version so special is the homemade chili-cinnamon simple syrup naturally sweetened with agave nectar (or maple syrup). It will take about an hour to create the simple syrup, but it’s so worth it! Make a big batch and store it in the fridge, keeps for about 2-3 weeks. Any whiskey (rye, Irish, scotch, bourbon) is acceptable when crafting a Hot Toddy for this version bourbon is preferred. We used a bourbon whiskey finished with hickory wood from Cleveland Whiskey.
Red Hot Cinnamon-Chili Hot Toddy
Chili-cinnamon Simple Syrup
- 1 c. agave nectar (or other sweetener of choice; maple syrup, cane sugar or honey
- 1 c. water
- 1 dried red chili pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- 3-4 Tbsp chili-cinnamon simple syrup
- 2 oz bourbon or preferred whiskey (TIP: 2 oz = 4 Tbsp)
- Hot Water (to fill a mug)
- Garnish with lemon wedge/cinnamon stick
- Add agave nectar, water, chili, cinnamon sticks, and red pepper flakes to a small saucepan and bring to a boil over med-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5-6 min. Remove from heat and allow to steep for 30-1 hour (longer the better to allow flavors to combine). Strain and pour into a glass jar for serving/storage.
- For a single Hot Toddy. Add juice of half of a lemon, 3-4 Tbsp chili-cinnamon simple syrup, 2 ounces of bourbon, and hot water to top. (TIP: use less water for a stronger drink, more for weaker)
- Allow to steep a few minutes before drinking. The cinnamon, lemon flavors become more developed if you take the time to allow this step.
- Garnish and serve.
To serve a larger crowd multiply ingredient by the number of drinks.